March Madness in the Library

The librarians are showing off their alumni spirit.   Yesterday, Janelle Hagen sported her favorite Pitt t-shirt.   Today I decided to demonstrate my Wisconsin pride by donning my beloved library school hat.   If Rutgers had a seat at the table this year, I have no doubt that Heather Hersey would have gotten in on the action.   It’s March Madness at the Pigott Library!

During the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, we set up computers and a big screen TV to show all of the games.   The idea was spearheaded by Julie Johnson, our media specialist, a number of years ago.   The games build community on a number of levels.   It is fun to see students and faculty members cheering on their favorite teams during free periods.   The student newspaper runs an ESPN bracket competition.   Anyone in the Lakeside community who wants to play is welcome.  March Madness gives our faculty, staff, students and administration a common language for banter and a light-hearted reason for camaraderie.

Rapport with students is a high priority for our team.   Due to the fact that the Pigott Library is one of the few public spaces one campus where students are held to a consistent level of behavioral expectations, there is definitely an ebb and flow to the library team’s approval rating with students.    The goodwill and fun atmosphere created during the tournament helps to rebuild our hero status, even if it is only for a few days.   The countless thank yous are appreciated.